64-Slice CT SCANNER IMAGING
Heart Care Centers of Illinois has been providing cardiac care to the Southwest Chicago suburbs for over 35 years. It is with pride that we can now offer locally the latest and most promising non-invasive heart imaging technology to our patients. The 64-slice CT scan provides dramatically detailed images of your coronary arteries and heart in just minutes, and without requiring an invasive and expensive hospital-based cardiac catheterization. Ground-breaking advances in heart imaging technology are now within reach, making possible early and rapid diagnosis of heart disease.
Cardiac CT Scanning is now available in our convenient Palos Park office.
Less invasive and more patient-friendly than catheter angiography, CT angiography provides a complete examination of the heart and coronary arteries in under one hour. These images are similar to those obtained in a hospital setting by traditional, invasive, cardiac catheterization, providing remarkable image quality. The Coronary CT angiogram will accurately define plaque within the coronary arteries, reliably detailing the presence of even mild coronary artery disease (coronary atherosclerosis). In addition, ejection fraction is calculated. This describes the strength of the heart's main pumping chamber, the left ventricle.
While catheter angiography remains the gold standard for diagnosis of coronary arterial disease and is a necessary prelude to arterial intervention (stent, balloon, etc), it requires hospitalization, placement of a catheter into an artery, and post-procedural recovery. For many patients, 64-Slice CT angiography eliminates the need for invasive coronary angiography and together with a calcium score is highly predictive of patient outcomes.
- 64-Slice CT imaging allows for the convenient and non-invasive diagnosis and screening of coronary disease (heart blockages).
- Coronary CT imaging answers the question, "Do I have heart disease" in one painless, rapid exam.
- A screening examination does not require a doctor's order. Results are communicated directly to you. If needed, a recommendation will be made for further physician follow-up.
- Your scans are read and interpreted by both a board-certified cardiologist and a radiologist.
- For patients requiring further consultation, HCCI cardiologists are available on-site.
- Fast scanning times and an open tube allow for comfort even in patients concerned about claustrophobia.
- Following the study, normal activities can be resumed immediately, including driving.
Heart Screening Services:
64-Slice Coronary Calcium Screening Exam (Coronary Calcium Score)
Heart screening is appropriate for men over 35 and women over 40 years. More than 2,600 Americans die of heart disease each day, and one every 33 seconds. Early detection of coronary artery disease enables patients and their physicians to modify risk factors in order to significantly reduce the potential for advanced heart disease. Coronary artery scans detect and measure calcium in the walls of coronary arteries. Calcium is a marker of atherosclerosis and is highly predictive of coronary artery disease.
Patients at higher risk are those with:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Family history
Coronary Calcium Score Screening Test:
- In 5 minutes, our new, state-of-the-art 64-Slice CT scanner will image your heart.
- Any degree of coronary calcium will be detected and measured.
- Elevated levels of coronary calcium are a proven sign of coronary disease.
- Payment will be accepted at the time of service.
- Your insurance will not be billed for this procedure.
- An inexpensive, promotional rate for this test is currently being offered...please call (866) HRT-SCRN, (866) 478-7276 for more information.
- Click Here for Frequently Asked Questions about Calcium Score Screening
Additional Screening Services:
Lung Screening: Lung screening detects and measures abnormal masses in the lungs. Lung cancer kills more American men and women than any other type of cancer. CT scanning can identify lung tumors before they appear on traditional chest x-rays. The five-year survival rate for lung cancer stands at 14 percent, but with early detection and treatment, survival rate may increase to as much as 80 percent.
Patients at risk for lung cancer:
- Heavy Smokers
- Significant exposure to second-hand smoke
- Repetitive exposure to cancer-causing agents such as asbestos
- History of tuberculosis or pneumonia
- Significant family history of lung cancer
64-Slice CT Angiography... State of the Art Technology
The CT Angiography Procedure
The procedure begins by starting an intravenous line (IV) in a vein, usually in the arm, through which the contrast agent is administered. Often, beta-blockers are given orally and sometimes intravenously, to lower the heart rate and optimize image quality. The individual lies comfortably on the CT scanning table, and may experience a brief warming sensation as the contrast agent enters the body. The procedure itself lasts only minutes. Our 64-Slice CT imaging technology is designed to optimally reduce the dose of radiation administered.
The IV is then removed and the patient can resume normal activities. The images are reviewed and processed so they can be analyzed three dimensionally using specialized software and computer workstations. Our physicians review the images by creating life-like anatomical displays. A detailed report is sent promptly to your physician. Printed images and CDs of the digital data are available to patients upon request.
Insurance/Payment issues for Cardiac Coronary CT Angiogram:
- The cardiac CT angiogram typically requires an order from your doctor.
- Some insurance carriers do not provide coverage for the CT angiogram.
- CT Angiography is covered by Medicare, Blue Cross, and other insurers.
- For more information or to schedule a 64-Slice CT angiogram, please call (866) HRT-SCRN, (866) 478-7276
- If needed, we can arrange an outpatient consultation with a cardiologist in an office convenient to you.
- Click Here for Frequently Asked Questions about Cardiac 64-Slice CT Angiogram